Central Brooklyn, where seven out of ten adults are overweight, faces a health crisis that includes some of the highest rates of heart disease and diabetes in New York City. In the face of these challenges, Restoration is leading borough-wide efforts to promote access to healthy food and physical activity through it's Center on Healthy Neighborhoods initiatives.
Increasing Access to Healthy Foods
- For the fourth year in a row, Restoration is proud to bring the community the Marcy Plaza Farmers Market in partnership with the Brooklyn Rescue Mission and TD Bank. Taking place Wednesdays from July through October from 10am-5pm, patrons can enjoyhealthy, affordable produce and family programming from exercise classes and music performances to book readings by celebrated authors. To learn more or to reserve space as a farmer or vendor, contact us!
- Restoration works to recruit early care centers to participate in Farm to Early Care, which includes one or more of the following: local food sourcing for the center’s meals and snacks, establishment of a farm share at the center, and various other healthy eating and fresh food activities, such as cooking demonstrations and garden visits. To learn more contact us!
Promoting Physical Activity
- With 26 Citi Bike stations in Bedford Stuyvesant, Restoration is working to promote equitable access and usage among Bed Stuy’s largely minority and low income residents. Restoration's Better Bike Share Partnership facilitates educational events, helmet fittings, cycling safety classes, and bike rides throughout the community in order to familiarize residents with Citi Bike and its many benefits. To purchase a Citi Bike annual membership and/or find out more information about, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Free summer bike rides with Restoration and its community partners twice weekly on Wednesday evenings and Saturday mid-moring from May through October. Hosted throughout Bed-Stuy and Brooklyn. Bring your own bike, or borrow a free Citi Bike! Check out our calendar for times and locations. Register here!
- Free Exercise Programming: In partnership with EmblemHealth, Restoration provides free weekly exercise sessions on Mondays and Wednesdays! Check out our calendar for times and location.
- Support Us
- Arts & Culture
- Restoration Plaza
- Family Services
Family Services Calendar
Tuesday, January 24, 2017 to Tuesday, April 18, 2017
(see below for details on days and times for the various filing options and locations)
Monday, March 27th, 2017 to April 7th, 2017 from 9:30AM am to 4:30PM
Wednesday and Saturday starting February 22nd!
Weekly on Wednesdays from 10 am to 1 pm
Wednesday March 29th, 2017 | 12:00 PM