Central Brooklyn, where seven out of ten adults are overweight, faces a health crisis that includes some of the highest rates of heart disease and diabetes in New York City. In the face of these challenges, Restoration is leading borough-wide efforts to promote access to healthy food and physical activity through it's Center on Healthy Neighborhoods initiatives.
Increasing Access to Healthy Foods
- For the fourth year in a row, Restoration is proud to bring the community the Marcy Plaza Farmers Market in partnership with the Brooklyn Rescue Mission and TD Bank. Taking place Wednesdays from July through October from 10am-5pm, patrons can enjoy healthy, affordable produce and family programming from exercise classes and music performances to book readings by celebrated authors. To learn more or to reserve space as a farmer or vendor, contact us!
- Restoration works to recruit early care centers to participate in Farm to Early Care, which includes one or more of the following: local food sourcing for the center’s meals and snacks, establishment of a farm share at the center, and various other healthy eating and fresh food activities, such as cooking demonstrations and garden visits. To learn more contact us!
Promoting Physical Activity
- With 26 Citi Bike stations in Bedford Stuyvesant, Restoration is working to promote equitable access and usage among Bed Stuy’s largely minority and low income residents. Restoration's Better Bike Share Partnership facilitates educational events, helmet fittings, cycling safety classes, and bike rides throughout the community in order to familiarize residents with Citi Bike and its many benefits. To purchase a Citi Bike annual membership and/or find out more information about, email us at email@example.com.
- Free summer bike rides with Restoration and its community partners twice weekly on Wednesday evenings and Saturday mid-moring from May through October. Hosted throughout Bed-Stuy and Brooklyn. Bring your own bike, or borrow a free Citi Bike! Check out our calendar for times and locations. Register here!
- Free Exercise Programming: Restoration provides free weekly exercise sessions on Mondays and Wednesdays! Check out our calendar for times and location.
- Thanks to efforts by Restoration, Motivate, the operators of the Citi Bike program, NYC Department of Transportation (DOT), and NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH), Citi Bike ridership in Bedford-Stuyvesant increased by 56% from March 2015 to December 2016. Read the full report on Bringing Equitable Bike Share to Bed-Stuy here!
- Support Us
- Arts & Culture
- Restoration Plaza
- Family Services
Family Services Calendar
Wednesday and Saturday starting February 22nd!
Weekly on Wednesdays from 10 am to 1 pm
Thursday, February 16, 2017 until June 1, 2017 from 6:30 pm to 9:30 pm
February 25, 2017 - 10:00AM to 12:00PM
March 25, 2017 - 10:00AM to 12:00PM
April 29, 2017 - 10:00AM to 12:00PM
May 27, 2017 - 10:00AM to 12:00PM
June 24, 2017 - 10:00AM to 12:00PM
Every first Monday of the month from 12:00PM to 2:00PM