Restoration has spearheaded a number of initiatives to tackle the serious health disparities that effect low-income communities in Central Brooklyn - such as high rates of obesity, heart disease and diabetes. To facilitate access to healthy food, it has sponsored a modern, well-stocked supermarket (Super FoodTown) on its own premises. For the past four years, it has organized a Farmers Market during the summer months. The market supports local farmers and food producers and is one of the few very places in Bedford Stuyvesant to offer a wide selection of fresh, organic produce.
To promote physical activity among area residents, Restoration hosts free exercises programs twice a week, attracting 50 - 120 attendees on a typical evening. The Citi Bike program, introduced last year with the aim of encoraging bike-sharing both as an exercise and a transportation alternative, has also proved very popular among local residents.
- Increasing Access to Healthy Foods
- Restoration is proud to bring the community the Marcy Plaza Farmers Market in partnership with the Brooklyn Rescue Mission and TD Bank. Taking place Wednesdays from July through October from 11am-6:00pm, patrons can enjoy healthy, affordable produce and family programming from exercise classes and music performances to book readings by celebrated authors. To apply as a vendor for the 2017 season, fill out this short form.
- Restoration works to recruit early care centers to participate in Farm to Early Care, which includes one or more of the following: local food sourcing for the child care center’s meals and snacks, establishment of a farm share at the center, and various other healthy eating and fresh food activities, such as cooking demonstrations and garden visits. To learn more send us an email.
- Promoting Physical Activity
- Citi Bike: With 36 Citi Bike stations in Bedford Stuyvesant, Restoration is working to promote equitable access and usage among Bed Stuy’s largely minority and low income residents. Restoration's Brooklyn Bike Bridage facilitate events, education and bike rides throughout the community in order to familiarize residents with Citi Bike and its many benefits. To purchase a Citi Bike annual membership visit citibikenyc.com or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out about additional discounts.
- Free spring and summer bike rides with Restoration and its community partners twice weekly on Wednesdays and Saturdays from May through October. Hosted throughout Bed-Stuy and Brooklyn. Check out the Restoration calendar for times and locations.
- Free Exercise Programming: Restoration provides free weekly exercise sessions on Mondays and Wednesdays! Check out the Restoration calendar for times and locations.
- Thanks to efforts by Restoration, Motivate, the operators of the Citi Bike program, NYC Department of Transportation (DOT), and NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH), Citi Bike ridership in Bedford-Stuyvesant increased by 56% from March 2015 to December 2016. Read the full report on Bringing Equitable Bike Share to Bed-Stuy here!
- Support Us
- Arts & Culture
- Restoration Plaza
- Family Services