Bedford Stuyvesant Restoration Corporation Unveils Plans to Reimagine Longtime Fulton St. Headquarters
Mission and Vision
SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT
SMALL BUSINESS AND ENTREPRENEURSHIP
ARTS & CULTURE
HOUSING STABILIZATION AND HOMEOWNERSHIP
HEALTH AND WELLNESS
REAL ESTATE AND COMMERCIAL DEVELOPMENT
Innovate the Future Benefit Gala
Restoration Rocks! Music Festival
About the Plaza
The Breakthrough Technology Fellowship, Restoration's pilot initiative in partnership with the Marcy Lab School, showed remarkable results.
Limited access to resources that foster career readiness and success is an obstacle faced by many young professionals of color. As a response, Restoration has partnered with The Marcy Lab School, another Brooklyn-based non-profit whose founders are POC, to launch the Breakthrough Technology Fellowship, a 12-week pilot program designed to train New Yorkers with prior programming or computer science experience for competitive, full-time software engineering roles. The program follows a robust curriculum focused on career fluency, racial identity development, and 1:1 coaching.
The Breakthrough Technology Fellowship tested the hypothesis that a gap in leadership skills prevents people with technical skills from getting jobs.
Enrolled from all 5 boroughs.
Completed the program and were job-ready.
Involved in the program (involvement includes: hiring, volunteering, and hosting events).
what is this text impact
1. Equal emphasis on technical and leadership development.
2. Direct connection to employers who have dedicated headcount to Breakthrough graduates.
3. High-touch model with intensive 1:1 work with Fellows. Throughout the program, Fellows receive individual coaching that equips them to tackle obstacles inside and outside of the program.
4. Unique curricular components that prepare professionals of color to enter tech workplaces, such as understanding systems of oppression, appreciating that your story matters, and developing language to tell your story in a way that resonates with employers.
5. Industry mentors work with Fellows during the program and for at least 3 months on the job.
Restoration and Marcy Lab Schools are Currently Recruting for our 2022 Cohort. The program will be a year-long program, recruiting from previously untapped groups such as NYCHA residents and AA grads from CUNY colleges. We will continue to integrate Restoration wraparound services and build out structured programming for alumni.
Marcy Lab student
"Shortly before my first coding bootcamp ended, COVID hit New York, which made my job search much more difficult. With job offerings drying up and traditional networking tactics being almost impossible, I focused on looking for programs with the right expertise and relationships to help me launch a career. By the end of the coding courses and professional development lessons, I plan on being able to market my skills and my story to potential employers more effectively."
Sign up to receive emails relevant to your interests